Thursday, May 15, 2014

Daddy

 My sweet, precious Daddy passed away on May 6, 2014 around 11:10 pm. I am not quite ready to share everything that is on my mind. I am still in shock, really.

I have cried maybe five tears since Daddy passed away. I know the flood is coming. I've been asking myself, "What is wrong with me? Why can't I cry?" A lot of people have been in my shoes and have reassured me that it will come.

My family is EXTREMELY blessed that we got so many chances to tell Daddy how much we love him over the past several weeks. Although Daddy suffered terribly, there were many precious moments in those final weeks. My heart breaks for families whose loved ones die suddenly. And my heart breaks for families who have walked in our shoes. Obviously, I had NO IDEA what it was like until is happened to us. It is harder than I ever imagined.

I am so glad that I, and some other family members, were there to comfort Daddy and cheer him on as he went to meet Jesus. It was such a bittersweet experience... one that I will never ever forget.

I miss Daddy so much, that it physically hurts. I have had at least dozens of urges to pick up the phone to call him. Every single time, it is like a stab to my heart when I realize that I will never get to do that. He was always so excited to hear from me. Everytime I called him at work or at home, he always said, "Hey Shug!!!!" It was like hearing from his baby girl just made his day.

I cannot get the hospice house experience out of my head. It plays over and over and over like a broken record. The nurses there were phenomenal, but I hated that place and what it represented. I will elaborate on that eventually... when and if I am ready to. A lot of it is very personal and I am not at the point yet where I can make the decision of how much to share.

I will most definitely be sharing some of the precious and funny moments that occured while Daddy was at Duke and the hospice house. I am still chuckling about the funny stuff :-P

Vernon "Carl" Batchelor, Jr.
March 25, 1955 - May 6, 2014

This picture is probably from 1980ish. My Daddy was so handsome. GQ style :-D

"Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy now one will take from you." John 16:22 NKJV

Daddy, I cannot wait to be where you are...

No comments:

Post a Comment